February 5, 2013

Tuesday Tutorial #8

This week's Tuesday Tutorial comes to us from ESS Design Team member Angel Estes - Angel did an excellent job putting a new spin on the embossed resist technique!  Here's Angel:

Hello again! Today I want to share a technique that is quite simple, but can really produce some striking results.

I began with this beautiful Penny Black background stamp called Damask Pattern. It has a very fabric-y, brocade sort of feel to it.  What, exactly, is the difference between Damask and Brocade? I really don’t know.

 

I began by stamping the image on a white panel cut 4”x5.25” with VersaMark ink, and then heat embossing with white embossing powder. Yup – white on white. Very elegant!




 

Next, I punched a circle from white cardstock and inked it up with Distress Ink in Peacock Feathers – direct to paper. You can also use a blending tool or a dabber to do this. Sometimes I find putting the ink pad direct to paper is a little quicker. I then use this circle to figure out exactly where I want my sentiment to be placed, but we won’t actually do the sentiment just yet. Once I know where I want to put my sentiment, I set this piece aside for a bit.
 
 

I want to highlight the beautiful pattern on this stamp, which can get a little lost when we emboss white on white. To do this, I created a few circular masks by punching several different size circles in plain typing paper.


 
Now comes the fun part! Holding the mask down on my embossed panel, I carefully use my ink blending tool to color in circles randomly placed on the card front. I used Distress Inks here, in Peacock Feathers and Faded Jeans. You want to be careful not to let your mask move around so you get a nice crisp circle of color.

 


Now, lets go back and see about that sentiment. Again using Versamark and white embossing powder I emboss the “Amaze Me” sentiment on my Peacock Feathers colored circle. Then, finish the sentiment with a die-cut script “You” above.  Adhere to front of card with foam dots. Round the corners on this front panel and attach to card base with foam dots.  I like foam dots. (insert image_9, _10, _11, _12)


 



And here is the finished card.
 
 

Thanks so much to Angel for the awesome tutorial!  Angel's going to be teaching a new card class beginning this month called "Angel's Classy Cards" and let me tell you, her samples are SO cute!!!
Take a peak:



 
Aren't they great?  Angel will demonstrate three different techniques using the same stamp, so you can see how truly versatile stamps can be. 
 
This class will be offered twice in February:
  
  • Tuesday February 12th from 3pm-5pm
  • Friday February 22nd from 6pm-8pm
 
Hope to see you there!
 
 

No comments: